Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vowels Vowels everywhere!


Guess who is sick again? This girl!!!  I have come to the sad conclusion that I may just never be able to breathe out of my nose again:)
So many kiddos out sick this week. Miss M even had a sick day!  Substitute teachers galore!

Today we explored vowels. I was surprised that many of the Kindergarteners knew that "a,e, i, o, and u" were called vowels. This made things a whole lot easier! (We did have one little guy who was really hung up on the idea of consonants verse vowels...maybe he watches Wheel of fortune a lot?)
I made vowel books for the kiddos to complete based on a picture I saw on the blog, Made for 1st grade(thanks ladies!)
The activity required the students to cut out 16 pictures that had a LONG VOWEL or SHORT VOWEL initial sound( for example, Igloo, Apple, Unicorn, Alligator, etc.)
Then, the students sorted and glued the pictures by sound under each vowel flap.
This was a great way to introduce vowels and practice our sounds.




 I also stopped by my sister's house tonight to give my little niece Evelina her Valentine gifts... oh she is adorable. She is still breast feeding and while I was there tonight she crawled right over to the dog and tried to latch onto the poor dog's(wait for it)...nipple. I almost died laughing!

 Here are some pictures of the little munchkin:)



Don't forget to check out the giveaways at 2nd Grade Shenanigans and The adventures of Mrs. Smith!



3 comments:

  1. New follower! I'm also impressed some of your kinders knew a,e,i,o,u are vowels. Many of my third graders don't know that.

    sigh.

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun vowels activity! I nominated you for a new blogger's award. Come over to my blog to check out the details.

    Kelly
    "Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower as well. I also just gave you an award! Come check it out!

    http://beanutwithmrsmcnutt.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-first-award.html

    ~Steph

    ReplyDelete